The Barristers fosters professional development specifically for young lawyers. Numerous committees, educational and social events, special programs, and community outreach activities bring opportunities to network, hone your leadership skills, advance your education, and enhance your legal proficiency.
Active participation in The Barristers helps newer attorneys build a resume that boasts an impressive record of accomplishments and community service.
Members of the Beverly Hills Bar Association who are under 37 years of age or those who have been practicing for less than ten years are automatically admitted to the Barristers at no charge.
The Barristers are governed by their own Officers, Board of Governors and Committee Chairs, who produce these programs:
Community Outreach Programs
- Roxbury Park Monthly Free Legal Clinic - conducts free public clinics on legal issues
- Wills For Heroes – coordinates pro-bono estate planning for first responders.
- Public Counsel – the first and largest pro bono public interest law firm in the United States, founded by the Beverly Hills Bar Association in 1970.
- Imagine – mentors third graders and prepares them for the social challenges of pre-adolescence.
- Blue Car Project – an innovative, in-school program that teaches high school students about the law and responsibility through the hypothetical purchase of a car.
Law Student and New Attorney Programs
- Law Student Project – engage with local law students to encourage early involvement in the professional aspects of practicing law.
- New Admittees Reception – welcome new BHBA admittees and introduce them to the Association’s activities and programs.
- Courthouse Orientation and Walkthrough – judges and courthouse staff provide an annual, behind-the-scenes look at the courts.
- "Ask-A-Lawyer" – volunteer lawyers offer complimentary, brief legal consultations to the public, in conjunction with the ABA's National Law Day.
- Social and Networking Events – mix and mingle with members of the BHBA and guests from other professional organizations at Thursday Happy Hours and other events.
- Vintage Bouquet Charity Food and Wine Event - this annual highlight for the Barristers and all BHBA members, held at the elegant Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills, features live and silent auctions to raise money for the Beverly Hills Bar Foundation, which supports Public Counsel and other community programs.